30 mars 2016

GETTING SICK IN THAILAND




We though our bad luck should stay in Railay. It had to!
We had gone through so much by then, having paradise ruined and all, so we thought we deserved a smooth path for once.

Well...you probalby know us well enough by now to guess what next sentence will be:


WELL...WE THOUGHT WRONG


Yeah, there it is. You knew it right?



_______________________________________________



So we start of by waking up twenty minutes before the boat to Lanta is leaving. With a 10 minute walk ahead of us and very little packed already. We were doomed, if I may use dramatic language. We were seconds from just laying our heads back on the pillow and hope that we weren't such screw-ups in dreamland.

BUT by unknown reason, we decided to try anyway.

So I took my backpack and ran to Railay West Beach, hoping I could stall the longtail boat drivers enough to get Jonathan there in time with the suitcases.
The clock showed 10:33. The expressboat were to leave 10:45 and we were supposed to be at the beach to be picked up by the longtailboats by 20 past. Our chanses seemed minimal, and with that thought passing through my mind, I saw a big white boat leave in the distance.

But by the Gods of the sea or whatever, that wasn't our boat.
You know, we forgot to count in a little factor called


ISLAND TIME


which basically means 'Count on having to wait another half an hour, for anything, while you're on the cost line'.
While this would have driven us mad any other time, being Swedes and all, we were extremely grateful for Island time when we finally sat on the boat, half an hour later than expected.



Goodbye, beautiful, horrible Railay


___________________________________________



So while that story had a silver lining (we love those), this one's is yet to be found.


We arrive at Saladan Pier in Koh Lanta and get a well deserved seafront lunch while we try to figure out our plans for the next days.

We shouldn't have bothered.
For that same night, I start to feel sick again. As if I hadn't already gotten my punishment for eating food from longtail boats a couple of days earlier, the whole procedure starts over again and by the second night at Koh Lanta, I wake up Jonathan every other hour with crying over stomach cramps, nausea or pain in the intestines. I had barely eaten in the last 48 hours and if I did manage to get some bread in the stomach, it did not stay there for long. By the end of the night neither of us had slept and I had started to imagine worms inside of me trying to kill me.

So it's to the doctor the next morning, and while Jonathan handles the insurance papers for me I get sat on IV drip because of dehydration and stomach infection.




Which is not as much party as it sounds...

Seven hours later, I got to leave Siam International Clinque, feeling less nausiated than I'd done in days. I also got tons of medication, most of them disgusting.

So kids, what do we learn from this. Well, two things actually.




Asia Tips number 4#

Always, ALWAYS,
make sure you have GOOD insurance




and




Asia Tips number 5#

Stock up on IMODIUM or such



They barely weigh anything and if/when the day comes you'll need it,
you'll be so grateful you don't have to be admitted to a Thai hospital because of dehydration



___________________________________________



That should be all for now. Doctor's orders is that I should not do anything in a couple of days, just lay in the hotelroom, which is exactly what you want to hear when you have long list of plans and ideas of hiring a scooter to fullfill them.

Jonathan's been amazing through all this. He's the number one reason I even get my meds since they are so stupidly disgusting I childishly refuse to take them.

The 2nd of April we leave for Malaysia. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then.




DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A
COMMENT TO BRIGHTEN OUR GRAY DAYS!




Inga kommentarer :

Skicka en kommentar