25 januari 2018

TRAIN THOUGHTS FROM THE SRI LANKAN HIGHLANDS

DAY 3 
COLUMBO - KANDY 


Writing this, I am cruising through a landscape greener than anything else I've ever seen, taking breaks from the computer to stare wideeyed at the ocean of trees and mountains, all glazed in an etheral afternoon light. Through my body is in perfect harmony, finally in the timezone it is supposed to be in, my mind is somewhere else. 

------

Sometimes I get wrapped up in the same thoughts – loneliness, envy. The feeling when your broken heart cracks open again, even though you spent months wrapping bandage around it.
Last time I was in a situation like this, it was early 2015. I was traveling with a friend from way back and she and I were supposed to have The Trip Of Our Lives. I’ve been in Asia twice since then, so needless to say, that wasn’t it.
Back then I was together with Jonathan and distance was a fucker. Time difference didn’t make it easier either, and I spent many nights up on rooftops, talking with him for hours. Me and my friend didn’t get along and I missed my family like crazy.

It’s not at all the same with Jennifer. The last couple of days has been fuzz-free between us, with great respect for each others need for space and attentiveness for the other's wants. We have kind of the same budget, the same interests, the same goals which makes me so much calmer than last time. The only thing that could have been a problem is our sleeping schedule – she falls asleep early and I am up writing. The upside though is that none of us are light sleepers, so when she get’s up at seven she can slam doors all she want without waking me up. 

So no, it’s not Jennifer making me feel alone. It’s the constant dejavus, the feeling that I’ve been walking on a street like this before, alone in Yogjakarta, waiting for Jonathan to meet me in Bali – or getting burned and having no one to write to that would really care about my health the way a loved one does.
                                     
I don’t miss Jonathan. I’m still more than pissed at him and still waiting for karma to hit him with its hardest, but I miss what (I thought) we had. Like crazy, I miss having someone to come home to. I can be away for months and it wouldn’t really affect someone. In the end everyone will forget about me.

--------

It has obviously been a long day. We woke up a little too late, by 10 instead of planned 8. Recollecting all our stuff was easy, but obsticles lined up as the sand in the hourglass dropped to the bottom. The BnB wasn’t prepaid as we thought. The closest ATM didn’t accept Mastercard. The line in the supermarket was eternal (but really no surprise there).  The tuktuk driver went around what seemed like all of Colombo when it really was a straight way from our hotel. All the seats in first class (meaning all the seat-tickets) was filled up. The train didn’t leave for 20 minutes, but we’d expected that. What we hadn’t counted on was the delay of over 1 hour just 20 minutes after leaving Colombo. I fell asleep on my suitcase. 


But I woke up an hour later to this view.


and maybe even more impressive,



this
-------

And the incredibly sad thing with the world nowadays is that we have all this tools and gadgets and possibilities to capture moments, but none can do any the feeling we got when leaning out an open train window justice, breathing in all of the sun’s descending over this ocean of mountains and greens. I can’t come close to retelling this train ride – this is just one of these things you just have to do one day and see for yourself.

--------

Writing this, we have still not reached Kandy. I start to believe it is a made up land, something from Troy and Abed’s dreamatorium. When arriving, we will go straight to out hostel and then go food hunting.

How does a curry fried…anything sound?   


LOVE AND
LOTS OF RAYS
OF SUNSHINE

Felicia 

1 kommentar :