21 januari 2016

TRAVELING CONSCIOUSLY: Elephants in Thailand



Source: Elephant Nature Park

So I started to read about traveling, thinking "exploring the world" is just another word for Rich Western People trying to get a bit of enlightment at the cost of another lands culture, traditions and nature. I've read countless traveling blogs the last year, and two things strikes me: 


1. Yes, that is people 

2. but not all people. 


And that makes me more happy than sad, actually. 'Cause that means there is still hope, and if we want to travel responsably, we have a lot of great role models to turn to. It has also given me a second dimension for the traveling I hope we do in the future; 


"How do we do what we want without hurting anyone or anything?"

First, I've read a lot about the elephants in the tourist industry. A year ago, I would have done anything to ride an elephant - I mean, Tyra Banks did it in Top Model, and that look just soooo great.
But it was actually my exfriend who pointed out to me that they tend to treat the elephants bad, and in that moment I felt so stupid. It hadn't even occured to me before, how the animals themselves felt about being used for my joy.

So I went to Bali and started to look for places they treated the elephants good by asking the vendors selling trips along the street.
"You like elephants?" a guy asked me and started to show me the route for a day trip.
"Well, yeah.." I replied, "but do they hit the animals?"
The vendor might not have understood me, but even so I still remember his reasuring face when he said "Oh yes! With wip, yes!" and smiled, like he thought he had won me over. 


The latest days, planning the trip to Asia in march, the elephants situation has been on my mind. Is it at all possible to see these magnificent creatures without them getting hurt?




Source: Elephant Nature Park

Then I found Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai
After all the warnings about people doing almost anything to get the tourist there, I was sceptical. The page seems reasonable, but what about the reviews? 

First, I read this post on the blog Boarders of Adventure. The blog focuses on traveling responsable and has a lot of great points and tips, so do check it out after you read this. 


"… back to Chiang Mai, where I found the incredible Elephant Nature Park. I researched, collected promotional leaflets and looked at treks, tours and day trips from local providers. All offered itineraries that included exactly the kind of ill practice I was trying to avoid – except this place." 
Becki, the blogger, writes in the post, continuing: 

"Elephant Nature Park is a sanctuary. It’s a home for the elephants, not a place where they are forced to work. Established by award-winning conservationist, Sangduen “Lek” Chailert, over 16 years ago, it’s a project which not only rescues injured and mistreated elephants but which educates tourists about responsible practice."

...I thought that was pretty good reassurence. 


I also scrolled down a lot of the reviews on trip advisor and found that the most people thought the day spent at ENP as really good and enlightening too.   

I also found another blog review on NomadicMatt. He describes the lifes of an elephant in riding camps, and praises Elephant Nature Park for taking good care of their elephants, and for trying to persue camps to change their approche.
You can read the post here.  
   

So this leaves me with a feeling of Right. This actually might be right. 
The entrence fee is 2500 thb for a Single Day visit and now, it's only up to me to persue Jonathan that this is a MUST


Have you been to Elephant Nature Park 

or any other Elephant Sanctuary? 

What did you think?


Please make me wiser by leaving a comment about it :) 


Inga kommentarer :

Skicka en kommentar