24 januari 2018

DANGEROUS WATERS & AMAZING BREAD

DAY 2 
COLOMBO, SRI LANKA


I woke up this morning to the smell of coffee, which was idyllcal, and to the sound of my seven alarms, which was less pleasant.
"I did an experiment on you", Jennifer said from the bathroom. "I wanted to see how long it would take for you to wake up so I didn't turn of your alarms."
"And what was the result of this experiment?"
"That I wanted to throw your phone in the wall. Or possibly on you, but I doubt that would wake you up."
I laughed and drank my coffee.
"Where do we start today?" I asked.
"We need to do a cash withdrawal, find out where we are going after Colombo and hit that beach, finally..." She was abrupted by my grumbeling tummy, which made sounds suitable for ogres.
"Or we start with breakfast?"

____________

The BnB we stayed at had provided us with a map with a few places circled that was supposed to be good for breakfast, so we headed to the nearest one. Our plan was to visit a safe ATM (like HSBC?) on the way and research our next stop in Sri Lanka while eating, but that went south as the place didn't have WiFi,

A funny thing, or rather, a peculiar thing for us swedes who are very efficient, is the time it takes to get service in this city. It's not only slow paced, it is almost standing still. The chicken teriyaki sub I ordered took about 20 minutes to make - and it was no other people in the cafe!
I guess we just have to set our clock to Island-time...


This line took 10 minutes to work through... 


____________


Speaking of Islands, our next task was to find the beach and go crazy at it; for me that ment swim in the ocean for the first time in over 1,5 years!
We decided to go by foot as we are no weak tourist but true explorers (meaning: extremely short of rupiees) and from our starting spot, it only took about 20 minutes and the help from a toothless man to find it.


So all should have been well with the world there and then, but we started to feel suspisous after realizing we were the only people there. Maybe it was too cold for the locals, being used to 40+ C and all?
So we ignored the few men who came to.. sit under the pineapple trees and do something? ... and tanned and went into the ocean. The waves was not gentle and I ended up tumbeling and falling, but still, I had a great time.
It was first afterwards we was approched by a life guard who told us in poor English that it was dangerous to swim here because of the current.


We ended up sitting in the sand for a few hours anyway, dipping our toes in the water now and then. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get sunlotion over all of me...




____________


A lot of things are very very different here. We've been honked by tuktuks and catcalled from people hanging out from the bus all day. There's also a lot of beggers approching us.

Everything is also so GREEN. It's marvelous. Green is my new favorite colour. Sri Lanka-green.


On the way back, we stopped at an indian place and ate dhaal and roti for 210 LKR (11 SEK / 1.3 USD). Selling bread this cheap could do terrible things with my waist line, but on the other hand...
who cares?


- Picture taken by @jenniskitchenstories


______________


Tomorrow morning we are leaving for Kandy. This evening we sat for about 3 hours, trying to come up with the best route to see all the things we want and we realized we could easily have stayed the double amount of time. Two and a half week in Sri Lanka is not enough, 

You have now been warned. 

Inga kommentarer :

Skicka en kommentar